How My Younger Son Watches Anime

AKA: What my son has been watching this summer.

My 11 (12 tomorrow) year old watches a lot of anime. And a lot that I watch, I am “vetting” to make sure that it doesn’t have any content that I deem inappropriate (or that I think his mother will object to).

That being said: he is always after me to check out shows to see if he can watch them, but I don’t have all the time in the world. I work. I socialize. I even watch non-anime related shows.

Luckily he does find titles he can watch. And watch he does….He’s a binge watcher. He can sit and watch a show all day. And then re-watch it again. I cannot do this. I rarely binge watch. A few episodes, yes. Watching for 4 hours, no.

But he found some things to keep him entertained that are good for his age with not much objectionable content. I have not watched many of these except seeing some of them while I was in the room.

eb8084f8230108f487402956e9984f1c1384463925_full

Toriko

A gourmet hunter on the search for more food to complete his ultimate meal. Fighting impossible beasts and eating the most absurd things. This is very much a Shonen anime in the vein of One Piece (there are a couple of crossover episodes in fact). I had started to watch this and set it aside and my son has now finished the series of his summer break. Much of it I didn’t watch, but I did see the Durian Bomb episode which was hilarious.

Toriko_zps733bf1b9

love-live-school-idol-project-1

Love Live! School Idol Project

My son started watching this one because of his older brother. As some readers will know his older brother is a Utaite (or You-Taite) who does English covers anime theme songs. Well, my older son was covering a song from this show and thus his younger brother liked the song and started watching the show. I have not seen any of it, but know it has a loyal following. It wasn’t surprising to me that he got into it as he was a huge fan of AKB0048. I think he has completed all seasons of this anime.

15050

Stella Women’s Academy High School Division Class C3

Another in the vein of “cute girls doing cute things”. This time it’s survival games where girls at an all girls rich school are hunting each other with pellet guns in simulated war games. He had bugged me about this show and I think I watched one episode and figured it was harmless enough. Being that he was a huge fan of Girls Und Panzer, I guessed this would be up his alley. And it was. I, however, have no idea if it’s any good (it looks mostly harmless at any rate).

14422

Waganaria!! (Working!!)

Now I have actually seen most of the first season of this. It is a funny show, absolutely hilarious at times. One could argue at times that some parts may be inappropriate. There are drunken sisters, a lazy boss that has a girl in love with her, and the main character could be seen as potentially creepy with his obsession with young, cute things and/or people. However, it’s mostly harmless and he loves the show.

Luckily he can find shows that he can find shows that are okay to watch and then binge-watch because I can’t keep up with his anime consumption….maybe I should’ve sent him to camp.

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “How My Younger Son Watches Anime

1. Nick August 26, 2015 / 7:34 am

When I saw Stella C3-bu was on this list I instantly thought of another airsoft anime, that being Sabagebu!, but upon further consideration it’s a bit more mature than Stella C3-bu so I’m not sure it would be one to recommend for your son. I also had Upotte!! come to mind as it’s along the same lines as the other two, but as it’s a 17+ anime with some sexual content and nudity (in the OVA), so it’s probably not something a 12 year old should watch.

As for Love Live… well I’m not gonna even get started because I’ll talk forever about that one.

Liked by 1 person

2. madreceiver August 26, 2015 / 8:55 am

Apparently the airsoft is pretty popular in Japan (or at least with Japanese manga writers). I know there is also Aoharu X Machinegun this season as well. Thanks for the other suggestions, though it sounds like Upotte!! may be a little much like you said.
    Love Live, He likes it a lot. I think he has a soft spot for idol shows…

3. Arria Cross August 26, 2015 / 9:30 pm

I really admire that you manage to share your interest in anime with your children. I think it’s cool.

Liked by 1 person

• madreceiver August 27, 2015 / 8:52 am

Thank you. 🙂 It’s been a fun place to bond with them. Currently, we all watch Ore Monogatari together and nerd out about how cute and funny it is (and I am not someone who looks for “cute” things). I feel fortunate to have something to share with them, but sometimes I also feel like it is how we go about bonding with others: Being willing to see what another loves and going into their “world”. If I had just dismissed anime as a “kid thing” or something, then I wouldn’t have had these good experiences with them.

Liked by 1 person

4. thegeekoutletllc August 27, 2015 / 7:24 pm

Toriko is my favorite off this list. It’s just a fun romp.

Have you tried Space Dandy yet? It can be a little violent but should be okay. It’s another fun anime – kind of like a spoof to Cowboy Bebop.

If you want to keep him occupied for like, forever, you could try Fairy Tale, Sword Art Online, Naruto, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, One Piece, and Dragon Ball Z. All of those are pretty great – and pretty long. I’d say outside of the violence – which is difficult to get away from in anime – they’re pretty PG.

Outside of that, I’d recommend Angel Beats, Steins;Gate, and Fate/Stay Night. I think that you should keep you guys busy for a while!

And for all I know, you’ve already tried all of these. If not, enjoy!

Liked by 1 person

• madreceiver August 28, 2015 / 8:53 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll have to check out Space Dandy first (I thought it might get a little ecchi at times, but I’ll take another look.
      And, yes to all of your suggestions, he’s watched a bunch of them. He’s up to date on Fairy Tail, SAO, Naruto, and One Piece. Inuyasha might be an option or DBZ (I don’t know Yu Yu Hakusho).
      Angel Beats we’ve all watched together and we are currently watching Steins Gate (albeit slowly) as that is a favorite of mine. I’ll have to look into Fate/ Stay Night, I have heard some good things.
      Thanks again for the suggestions. 🙂

• thegeekoutletllc August 28, 2015 / 3:44 pm

He really is into anime then! Yeah, you’re probably right about Space Dandy. I don’t have kids so I don’t always think of it in terms of being PG. (Another great one would be Soul Eater! and possibly the prequel: Soul Eater Not!)
        (Yu Yu Hakusho is an older anime but no older than Inuyasha but one of my all time favorites.) I loved Steins;Gate so I’m glad you’re enjoying it.
        Good luck with the continued search!

Liked by 1 person

5. The Otaku Judge September 12, 2015 / 8:44 am

I think airsoft originated in Japan, which is why it is popular there. I reviewed Stella last month by the way. I think it is safe for a youngster to watch, although for a “cute girls doing cute things” show it did get a bit dark towards the end.

Liked by 1 person

• madreceiver September 12, 2015 / 8:55 am

He watched Stella and liked it quite a bit. I saw some of it, but didn’t see the later episodes. All the airsoft shows he’s been watching makes him want his own airsoft gun. He wants to join one of these leagues. I told him that unfortunately I don’t think we have any in our area. 😀

Liked by 1 person

6. Geeky See Art September 16, 2015 / 5:36 pm

I like this blog post. I don’t have any kids, because I’m in high school, but reading your posts helps me be able to show anime to my younger cousins.

Liked by 1 person

• madreceiver September 16, 2015 / 6:46 pm

Thank you very much! That is in part why I started this blog. It can be tricky sometimes finding what is appropriate or not for younger viewers. And sometimes it very much depends on the parents and what they find offensive. Thanks for reading!